Oxford United 0(0) v (0)1 Kidderminster Harriers

Football Conference National - The Kassam Stadium - 13 March 2007

Attendance: 4542

Individual Stats
v Kidderminster
Billy Turley 6 0(3)0000 [23/13] Steve Taylor 6 0(2)0000
Michael Corcoran 5 01100 [29/2] Jeff Kenna 6 01010
Rufus Brevett 4 0122(1p)0 [18/3] Jonny Harkness 5 00050
Luke Foster 5 00200 [30/6] Stuart Whitehead 6 00300
Phil Gilchrist 5 00120 [6/5] Mark Creighton 6 00120
Martin Foster 5 00020 [24/4] Gavin Hurren 5 02110
Yemi Odubade 5 13200 [12/15] Simon Russell 6 3(1)0220
Carl Pettefer 5 01310 [7/16] Russ Penn 7 03210
Rob Duffy 5 1(1)0312 [14/26] James Constable 5 1(1)2325
Marvin Robinson 5 00422 [26/22] Iyseden Christie 5 1(1)0220
Danny Rose 5 0014(1h)0 [16/11] Michael Blackwood 7 00030
Eddie Anaclet 5 00000 [2/7] Jake Sedgemore 5 00000
Chris Hargreaves 5 1(1)0110 [10/9] Andy White      
Andy Burgess 5 00000 [11/14] Luke Reynolds 6 00010
Matt Day       [21/17] Michael McGrath      
Chris Tardif       [1/18] Brian Smikle 5 00000
Team Stats
  Fouls Conceded Offside Corners Shots On Shots off
Oxford 15 4 4 3 6
Kidderminster 20 5 2 5 8
Oxford Kidderminster
    86 Simon Russell  
Corcoran L. Foster   Gilchrist Brevett
Odubade Pettefer   M. Foster Rose
  Duffy   Robinson  
Kenna Whitehead   Creighton Harkness
Russell Penn   Hurren Blackwood
  Christie   Constable  
Oxford Kidderminster
60 Hargreaves Duffy Hargreaves to left central midfield. 64 Smikle Harkness Smikle to right midfield, Russell to left midfield, Blackwood to left back.
60 Burgess M. Foster Burgess to left midfield. 72 Reynolds Christie Reynolds to striker.
60 Anaclet Rose Anaclet to right midfield, Odubade to striker. 88 Sedgemore Constable Sedgemore to left central midfield, Hurren to central midfield.  Now 4-5-1.
Oxford Kidderminster
Brevett 34 Foul
M. Foster 55 Foul
  Harkness 42 Foul  
Referee: Graham Horwood (Bedfordshire)
Match Report by St@tto

An excellent team performance from Harriers earned them their third win in a row, all without conceding a goal, and kept their play-off hopes alive.

Steve Taylor was given his debut in goal, Scott Bevan apparently carrying a calf strain, and acquitted himself well, thwarting the home team whenever called upon and ensuring that United failed to score against Harriers for the second time this season.

Harriers played some good football, knocking the ball around well, but it was ten minutes before the break until they had a clear chance on goal.  Iyseden Christie broke into the penalty area and was brought down by Rufus Brevett; Christie himself took the penalty but hit it at the perfect height for Billy Turley to push it away diving to his right.  Moments later James Constable had the ball in the net but his effort was ruled out for offside.

At the other end Taylor had done well to keep out an effort from Oxford's top scorer Rob Duffy, diving at full stretch to push his lob away although it may have been heading wide.  Harriers opened up the home defence again seven minutes from the end of the half; Michael Blackwood got to the byline on the left and crossed to the far post where Simon Russell knocked the ball back into the danger area, it was half cleared and fell to Russ Penn who fired over the bar.

Blackwood was involved again on the hour mark, his run and cross from the left wing made a chance for Constable who couldn't get his head to the ball.  As usual Harriers looked dangerous from set-pieces, Jeff Kenna went close with a 35-yard free kick that went just over the bar.

Twenty minutes from the end Oxford could have broken the deadlock; Taylor failed to gather a cross from the left and the ball fell to Yemi Odubade whose goal-bound shot was blocked by Stuart Whitehead at the expense of a corner.  From the resultant corner Michael Corcoran headed wide at the far post.

Harriers had a spate of chances soon afterwards; Constable made a run into the penalty area but his shot was directed straight at Turley for an easy save; Penn made space for himself 30 yards out but fired over the bar; finally, Blackwood fed the ball to sub Luke Reynolds who slipped it through the inside-left channel for Constable who fired over.

Four minutes from the end Harriers finally broke the deadlock and won the game with a goal of the season candidate; Russell picked up the ball from Russ Penn's knock down on the left wing and beat Turley with a dipping long-range volley that gave the keeper no chance.