Grays Athletic 5(4) v (0)1 Kidderminster Harriers

Football Conference National - Recreation Ground - 18 August 2007

Attendance: 1017

Individual Stats
v Kidderminster
Ross Flitney 5 0(2) 0 0 0 0[1] Scott Bevan 4 0(2) 0 0 0 0
Andy Sambrook 5 0 1 0 1 0[2/18] Paul Bignot 5 0 0 1 0 0
Ernie Cooksey 5 0 0 0 0 0[21/3] Jonny Harkness 5 0 2 1 2 0
Jon Ashton 5 0 0 2 3(1p) 0[14/16] Jon Munday 5 1(w) 0 2 2(1p) 0
Jamie Stuart 5 0 0 0 2 0[4/5] Mark Creighton 5 1(1) 0 0 1 0
Charley Hearn 5 0 0 5 5 0[16/10] Russ Penn 5 0 0 5 2 0
James Lawson 5 0 0 0 1 0[30/14] Brian Smikle 5 0 0 0 0 0
Karl Murray 5 0 0 0 4 1[11/4] Gavin Hurren 6 0 0 0 1 0
Danny Kedwell 8 4(1) 2 0 2 1[10/8] James Constable 5 0 0 2 1 0
Ben Watson 6 1 0 1(p) 0 0[18/9] Justin Richards 5 0 1 4 1 2
Dennis Oli 5 0 1 0 1 0[7/11] Michael Blackwood 5 1(1) 1 3 0 0
Aaron O'Connor 6 1 0 2 2 2[8/2] Jeff Kenna 5 0 1 1 0 0
Craig McAllister     [9/17] Andy Ferrell 5 0 0 0 2 0
Jamie Day 5 0 0 1 0 0[15/21]Matthew Barnes-Homer     
Mark Marshall 6 1(1) 3 2 0 1[28/23] Iyseden Christie 6 1 0 1 1 0
Danny Knowles     [12/13]Dean Coleman     
Team Stats
  Fouls Conceded Offside Corners Shots On Shots off
Grays Kidderminster
9Danny Kedwell 49Iyseden Christiepenalty
22Danny Kedwellpenalty   
24Ben Watson    
35Danny Kedwell    
68Aaron O'Connor    
SambrookAshton StuartCooksey
LawsonMurray HearnOli
 Kedwell Watson 
BignotMunday CreightonHarkness
SmikleHurren PennBlackwood
 Constable Richards 
Grays Kidderminster
30O'ConnorWatsonO'Connor to striker.46KennaBignotKenna to right back.
46MarshallOliMarshall to left midfield.46ChristieSmikleChristie to striker, Penn to right central midfield, Hurren to central midfield, Blackwood to left central midfield.  Now 4-3-3.
65DayCookseyDay to left central midfield, Hearn to right central midfield, Murray to right back, Sambrook to left back.78FerrellRichardsFerrell to left central midfield, Blackwood to left midfield, Hurren to right central midfield, Penn to right midfield.  Now 4-4-2.
Grays Kidderminster
Hearn 29 Foul
Stuart 45+ Foul
 Penn 63 Foul
Harkness 90+ Dissent
Referee: Amy Rayner (Leicestershire)
Match Report by St@tto

Shambolic Harriers collapsed to their heaviest defeat for two seasons, coincidentally also when shipping five goals against Grays, with a first-half capitulation that saw the game over in half an hour.

Mark Yates made changes to the team that had beaten Stafford in midweek; Jonny Harkness returned from suspension with Paul Bignot moving over to the right flank and Jeff Kenna dropping down to the bench while Michael Blackwood returned in midfield.  As at Stafford in midweek Harriers were slow out of the blocks and found themselves behind after just eight minutes when one-time Harriers trialist Danny Kedwell was first to the ball in the penalty area and stubbed it past Scott Bevan and into the net.

Blackwood briefly gave hope that Harriers would be able to react to going behind with a long jinking run towards the Grays penalty area that culminated with a shot that Ross Flitney in the home goal could only parry upwards and had to push away for a corner at the second attempt. Athletic were awarded a penalty after 23 minutes, Jon Munday pushed Ben Watson.  Kedwell sent Bevan the wrong way but referee Amy Rayner saw encroachment by some Grays players and had the kick retaken.  Kedwell went the other way this time, outguessing Bevan again who went the wrong way.

Within minutes it was 3-0;  Kedwell again involved, his shot was blocked but the loose ball fell to Watson who was left with an easy finish from 6 yards out.  Harriers' top scorer Justin Richards should have pulled one back just after the half-hour mark, set free through the middle of the home defence he lobbed wide from 20 yards out.  Ten minutes before the break sorry Harriers found themselves four down; a high ball through the inside-left channel from Ernie Cooksey was flicked on to Kedwell who fired a low shot through Bevan's hands.

Any of the Harriers defence could have been taken off at half-time but it was Bignot who was chosen, Kenna coming on, while Bin smikle was sacrificed from the midfield in favour of Iyseden Christie as Harriers switched to 4-3-3.  Christie sparked a glimmer of belief that there could be a miraculous comeback when he fired in Harriers' goal from the penalty spot after three minutes of the new half after Jon Ashton had handled.  He needed a little luck, however, as the ball went in off the body of Flitney.

Within seconds, though, Grays sub mark Marshall had given Harriers another scare with a shot from wide on the left that flashed across the face of goal. Marshall was a lively introduction and caused Harriers a number of problems; just before the hour he got to the byline on the left and crossed low to the near post where Kedwell turned and hit a shot straight at Bevan.

The game was ended after 67 minutes when Marshall got to the byline again, this time his low cross found Aaron O'Connor in acres of space in the middle of the penalty area and he swept in the fifth goal to complete the rout.  In the closing minutes Marshall switched flanks and picked up a pass from James Lawson and hit a stinging shot that Bevan parried, the ball returned to Marshall who fired high and wide.