Kidderminster Harriers 3(2) v (0)0 York City

Football Conference National - Aggborough - 8 September 2007

Attendance: 1589

Individual Stats
v York
Scott Bevan 6 0(2) 0 0 0 0 [1/13] Stephen Henderson 5 0(2) 0 1 0 0
Paul Bignot 6 1(1) 0 0 0 0 [18/23] Ben Purkiss 5 0 0 0 0 0
Jonny Harkness 6 0 1 2 0 0[3] Mark Robinson 5 0 0 1 1 0
Jeff Kenna 6 0 0 1 0 0 [2/5] David McGurk 5 0 0 0 1 1
Mark Creighton 6 0 0 1 0 0 [5/25] Darren Kelly 5 0 0 0 2 0
Andy Ferrell 5 0 0 2 0 0 [17/14] Ross Greenwood 5 0 0 0 2 0
Russ Penn 6 0 1 2 2 1 [10/7] Onome Sodje 6 1(1) 0 1 1 1
Dean Bennett 6 1 0 1 1 0 [19/8] Manny Panther 5 0 1 2 2 0
James Constable 6 0 1 2 0 4 [8/16] Richard Brodie 5 0 2 0 3 1
Justin Richards 8 2 3 0 1 7 [9/4] Stuart Elliott 5 0 0 1 1 0
Michael Blackwood 6 0 1 3 1 0[11] Martin Woolford 5 0 0 0 0 1
Gavin Hurren 5 0 0 1 0 0 [4/2] Darren Craddock 5 0 0 0 2 0
Brian Smikle 5 0 0 0 0 0 [14/9] Paul Brayson 5 0 0 0 1 0
Matt Barnes-Homer       [21/10] Craig Farrell 5 1(1) 2 0 0 2
Iyseden Christie 7 1(1) 0 1 1 1 [23/22] Nicky Wroe      
Dean Coleman       [13/1] Tom Evans      
Team Stats
  Fouls Conceded Offside Corners Shots On Shots off
Kidderminster 6 13 4 5 7
York 16 6 3 2 5
Kidderminster York
16 Justin Richards     
30 Dean Bennett    
89 Justin Richards    
Bignot Kenna   Creighton Harkness
Penn Bennett   Ferrell Blackwood
  Constable   Richards  
Purkiss McGurk   Kelly Robinson
  Panther Elliott Greenwood  
Sodje     Woolford
Kidderminster York
49 Hurren Creighton Hurren to left central defender. 32 Craddock Purkiss Craddock to right back, Greenwood to right midfield, Elliott to left central midfield, Woolford to left midfield, Sodje to striker. Now 4-4-2.
68 Christie Constable Christie to striker. 58 Brayson Greenwood Brayson to attacking midfield, Sodje to right midfield.  Now 4-4-1-1.
78 Smikle Bennett Smikle to right midfield, Penn to right central midfield. 62 Farrell Brodie Farrell to striker.
Kidderminster York
Referee: David Richardson (West Yorkshire)
Match Report by St@tto

Harriers cruised to a second consecutive home win, the first time since beating York and Stafford in January that they had achieved the feat.

York were a shadow of the side that usually expects to find itself amongst the Conference front-runners, coming into the game with just one win from the opening seven games and one place above the relegation zone.  Harriers were able to leave out skipper Stuart Whitehead, allowing him more time to recover from an ankle injury, and instead included Paul Bignot at right back and moved Jeff Kenna across into Whitehead's position, giving him the captain's armband also. There was no place in the York 16 for ex-Harrier Chris Beardsley.

Harriers took the lead after 15 minutes; Jonny Harkness picked out James Constable with a long pass on the left, he controlled well and turned it inside to Michael Blackwood who scampered away from the visiting defence and squared the ball to Justin Richards who was left unmarked in the centre of the penalty area and had an easy finish to record his first goal at Aggborough.

The home side were comfortably in control of the match and should have doubled their advantage ten minutes later; Harriers worked a short-corner routine on the right, the cross was not cleared properly and fell to Blackwood who broke into the penalty area on the left and squared the ball to Russ Penn who fired over the bar.  The second goal was not long coming, however, good work by Penn on the right created to opening for Dean Bennett to fire a low shot into the bottom corner of the net from the edge of the penalty area for his first goal since his return to the club, incidentally his first goal for the club since scoring against the same opposition three years ago.

York rarely got going in the game and didn't come close to scoring until two minutes before the break, Richard Brodie heading over the bar from a Ross Greenwood cross.  The had had another good chance that summed up  their luck so far this season, Scott Bevan messed up a clearance that fell to Manny Panther but his attempt to find the open goal instead hit teammate Onome Sodje and ran off to safety.

After the break it was all Harriers again; they controlled the game but did not push on and try to finish off The Minstermen, particularly after the loss to injury of Mark Creighton early in the half.  Iyseden Christie came on in place of James Constable midway through the half and sparked the Harriers attack back into life; before long he had nodded down Andy Ferrell's ball into the path of Richards who fired over the bar from 20 yards.

Christie was creator again 18 minutes from the end, flicking on to Bignot who was overlapping on the right, he got into the penalty area but shot straight at Stephen Henderson in the City goal.  Straight away York counter-attacked and a cross from the right found Craig Farrell on the opposite flank but he shot wide across the face of goal.  As the game drew to a close York threw everything forward and Farrell went close again, shooting straight at Scott Bevan after dribbling into the penalty area.

Christie and Richards combined again on the left, Richards' cross headed for an unmarked Penn at the far post but he misjudged his attempted volley and ended up kicking air instead.  Harriers wrapped up the match with two minutes left; Kenna's long pass on the right set Brian Smikle free on the right, he played the ball square to Richards who helped it on to Christie at the far post, Henderson parried his shot but the ball ran to Richards who was left with an easy tap in to record his fourth goal of the season.