Kidderminster Harriers 1(0) v (0)0 Cambridge United

Football Conference National - Aggborough - 6 December 2007

Attendance: 1314

Individual Stats
v Cambridge
Scott Bevan 8 0(6) 0 0 0 0[1] Danny Potter 5 0(2) 0 0 0 0
Paul Bignot 6 0 0 3 0 0 [18/7] Dan Gleeson 5 0 0 2 1 0
Michael Blackwood 6 0 0 2 1 0 [11/3] Stephen Reed 5 1(1) 1 1 1 0
Stuart Whitehead 6 0 0 1 0 0 [6/23] Josh Coulson 5 0 0 2 0 0
Mark Creighton 6 1(w) 1 1 0 0[5] Mark Peters 6 2(1, 1w) 0 0 1 0
Gavin Hurren 5 0 1 1 5 0 [4/17] Gavin Hoyte 5 0 1 0 0 0
Simon Russell 6 2(2) 1 0 0 0 [7/28] Darryl Knights 6 0 1 3 3 1
Russ Penn 6 0 0 4 3 0 [10/15] Paul Carden 5 0 1 1 2 0
Iyseden Christie 8 1 0 1 1 1 [23/9] Scott Rendell 5 1(1) 0 0 4 2
Justin Richards 6 0 1 0 1 2 [9/19] Leo Fortune-West 5 0 2 1 0 1
Andy Ferrell 5 0 0 2 0 0 [17/8] Rob Wolleaston 5 1(1) 3 0 3 0
Jonny Harkness       [3/10] Lee Boylan 6 2(2) 0 1 0 0
Brian Smikle 5 0 0 0 1 0 [14/11] Courtney Pitt 5 0 1 1 0 0
Michael McGrath       [15/14] Mike Convery      
Matt Barnes-Homer 5 0 0 0 0 0 [21] Michael Morrison      
Dean Coleman       [13/26] Robbie Willmott 5 0 0 0 0 0
Team Stats
  Fouls Conceded Offside Corners Shots On Shots off
Kidderminster 12 3 6 4 4
Cambridge 15 4 8 7 10
Kidderminster Cambridge
58 Iyseden Christie     
Bignot Whitehead   Creighton Blackwood
Russell Penn   Hurren Ferrell
  Christie   Richards  
  Coulson Peters Hoyte  
Gleeson     Reed
  Knights Carden Wolleaston  
  Rendell   Fortune-West  
Kidderminster Cambridge
77 Smikle Russell Smikle to right midfield. 69 Boylan Fortune-West Boylan to striker.
80   Hurren to left back, Blackwood to left midfield, Ferrell to left central midfield. 77 Willmott Knights Willmott to central midfield, Carden to right central midfield.
90+ Barnes-Homer Richards Barnes-Homer to striker. 86 Pitt Reed Pitt to left wing-back.
Kidderminster Cambridge
   Reed 16 Foul
Knights 58 Foul
Referee: Mike Mullarkey (Exeter)
Match Report by St@tto

Harriers recorded their first win in four games and the first home league win since October with a hard-fought win over Cambridge that ended the visitors' six-game winning streak and inflicted just their second defeat of the season.

Iyseden Christie came into the side for his first Conference start of the season but it was defender Mark Creighton who almost gave Harriers a dream start in the second minute; Justin Richards flicked on a right-wing corner at the near post for Creighton, arriving late at the far post, to head against the bar.

In blustery conditions the visitors adapted better and with the wind behind them began to get on top and should have taken the lead midway through the half; a corner from the left was poorly cleared by the Harriers defence and played back into the danger area by Gavin Hoyte to veteran striker Leo Fortune-West six yards out who managed to blast it over the bar.  Shortly afterwards Rob Wolleaston played a neat pass in from the left to lively on-loan midfielder Darryl Knights who fired narrowly wide of the near post from 20 yards out.

Late in the half Russ Penn's pass set Christie away on the right, he jinked into the penalty area and crossed to the far post to where Penn had continued his run but just as he was about to connect with the ball it was headed away for a corner by Paul Carden.  United finished the half on top and were only denied an opening goal by the fingertips of Scott Bevan in the Harriers goal who pushed Wolleaston's shot onto the post.

Wolleaston went close again early in the second half; Knights had battled his way through in the middle of the park and threaded the ball through to him on the left but his shot went inches wide of the far post.

Harriers took the lead just before the hour mark in controversial circumstances.  Simon Russell's free-kick from deep on the right found Richards on the edge of the penalty area as the United defence all rushed out; everyone stood still briefly expecting an offside flag but Fortune-West had played them all onside, Richards fed the ball to Christie who was by now offside who drilled his shot past Danny Potter for his second goal of the season.

Cambridge threw everything forward in an effort to get back into the game and penned Harriers back in their own half for the last twenty minutes of the game.  Harriers had Bevan to thank for keeping their lead intact as he pulled off a string of crucial saves in the face of the United barrage.  Substitute Lee Boylan got clear in the Harriers penalty area and fired in a shot that Bevan parried, the muddy goalmouth slowing down the ball as it span away, the keeper then managed to get back to block Mark Peters' follow up and then Paul Bignot was able to hack the ball away to safety.  Moments later Hoyte knocked the ball back into the penalty area after Bevan had punched a corner clear and Peters hooked a shot onto the crossbar.

Harriers could have made the game safe on 76 minutes when Penn's pass found Richards in acres of space, but, with two men unmarked at he far post, he chose to shoot instead and fired wide of the near post.   Back at the other end Scott Rendell hit a shot that looked certain to fly into the top corner but Bevan, diving at full stretch, pushed it round the post for a corner.  Late on Christie flicked on Penn's right wing corner to Creighton at the far post who headed over the bar.