Stevenage Borough 2(1) v (0)1 Kidderminster Harriers

Football Conference National - Broadhall Way - 13 March 2008

Attendance: 1326

Individual Stats
v Kidderminster
Alan Julian 5 0(1) 0 0 0 0[1] Chris MacKenzie 5 0(3) 0 0 0 0
Lawrie Wilson 5 0 0 2 1 0[12/2] Jeff Kenna 5 0 0 0 0 0
Scott Laird 5 0 0 0 0 0[28/22] Alex Jeannin 5 0 0 0 0 1
Ashley Westwood 5 0 0 0 1 0[6/4] Gavin Hurren 5 0 0 2 1 0
Tommy Smith 5 0 0 1 1 0[5] Mark Creighton 5 0 0 0 0 0
Peter Vincenti 5 0 2 1 1 0[33/19] Dean Bennett 5 0 1 1 1 0
Sammy Moore 5 0 0 0 0 0[19/10] Russ Penn 5 0 1 1 1 0
Gavin Grant 6 2(1) 3 0 0 2[36/24] Darryl Knights 6 0 0 0 1 0
Steve Morison 6 1 1 1 0 0[20/21] Matt Barnes-Homer 6 0 2 1 1 0
Mitchell Cole 6 1(1) 1 0 2 0[11/23] Iyseden Christie 6 1 0 3 2 3
Daryl McMahon 5 0 1 1 2 0[14/7] Simon Russell 6 2(1, 1w) 1 0 0 0
Fred Murray     [3/14]Brian Smikle     
Mark Molesley 5 0 0 0 0 0[7/15] Michael McGrath 5 0 0 1 0 0
Tyrone Berry     [10/17]Andy Ferrell     
Calum Willock 5 1(1) 1 1 1 2[29/18]Paul Bignot     
Clark Masters     [34/13]Dean Coleman     
Team Stats
  Fouls Conceded Offside Corners Shots On Shots off
Stevenage Kidderminster
15Steve Morison 52Iyseden Christie 
72 Gavin Grant    
WilsonWestwood SmithLaird
KennaHurren CreightonJeannin
Penn   Russell
 Barnes-Homer Christie 
Stevenage Kidderminster
65WillockMooreWillock to striker, Grant to right midfield, Vincenti to right central midfield, Cole to left midfield.  Now 4-4-2.73McGrathKnightsMcGrath to attacking midfield.
77 Molesley ColeMolesley to left central midfield, McMahon to left midfield. 80  Russell to right midfield, Penn to right central midfield, Bennett to left central midfield, McGrath to left midfield. Now 4-4-2.
Stevenage Kidderminster
Westwood 90 Dissent Penn 66 Foul 
Referee: Brendan Malone (Wiltshire)
Match Report by St@tto

Harriers' mini-revival was brought to an end by high-flying Stevenage who moved into second place in the Conference thanks to the massive slice of luck that won them the game.

There was one, enforced, change to the Harriers line-up as Gavin Hurren returned to the side in place of Luke Jones who had been recalled from his loan by parent club Shrewsbury Town at very short notice.  Harriers were slow out of the starting blocks against a tougher opponent than they had faced in their previous two matches and it was Hurren who was caught out as Borough took the lead after quarter of an hour.  Steve Morison was quick to charge down the defender's attempted clearance and was left with a clear run on goal, using great technique to fool Chris MAcKenzie into diving the wrong way before slotting a cool finish past him.

Harriers gradually got back into the game as the half wore on but didn't really trouble Alan Julian in the home goal.  MacKenzie was the far busier keeper, forced into saves by Mitchell Cole and the impressive Gavin Grant.

Early in the second half Harriers were back on level terms; Jeff Kenna's throw was knocked down to Darryl Knights who lofted a delicate chip into the penalty area for Iyseden Christie who bulldozed his way between the challenges of Ashley Westwood and Tommy Smith, and over Julian before poking the ball over the line while lying on the ground to record his ninth goal of the season.

Harriers enjoyed greater possession in the second half and could have gone in front midway through; a long ball along the right wing drew Julian needlessly out of his goal towards the touch line and he was beaten to it by Matt Barnes-Homer whose flick rolled agonisingly across the face of goal and wide of the far post.

Somewhat against the run of play it was the home side who went back in front after 72 minutes; MacKenzie had punched clear a cross from the left as far as Peter Vincenti whose shot was going wide until substitute Calum Willock stuck out a leg to turn it goalwards and MacKenzie did well to save.  His clearance, however, was not picked up by a Harriers player in midfield and borough attacked quickly with Grant on the right wing allowed to run into the penalty area, his low cross-shot was deflected in at the near post off the body of Mark Creighton with MacKenzie anticipating the cross.

For a while Harriers' heads dropped but as the game moved into the closing stages they grew stronger again and seemed the more likely team to score again. Eight minutes from the end a deep cross from the left by Simon Russell to the far post picked out Russ Penn; rather than shooting first time, however, he pulled the ball back behind Christie who was the only other Harriers player in the penalty area.

In the last minute an Alex Jeannin free-kick from the left was headed clear at the far post only as far as Russell who took a touch before curling a 25-yard shot beyond the reach of Julian only to see it crash against the far post and bounce away to safety.  Deep in stoppage time Harriers caused a manic scramble in the Stevenage penalty area but despite creating three openings didn't manage to get a single shot in and Borough survived to take the points.