Cambridge United 0(0) v (1)3 Kidderminster Harriers

Football Conference National - Abbey Stadium - 29 March 2008

Attendance: 3999

Individual Stats
v Kidderminster
Alex McCarthy      [20/13] Dean Coleman     
Michael Morrison      [21/18] Paul Bignot     
Wayne Hatswell      [27/22] Alex Jeannin     
Josh Coulson      [23/4] Gavin Hurren     
Mark Peters     [5] Mark Creighton     
Stephen Reed      [3/19] Dean Bennett     
Rob Wolleaston      [8/10] Russ Penn     
Paul Carden      [15/24] Darryl Knights     
Magno Vieira      [39/23] Iyseden Christie     
Jack Jeffrey      [12/21] Matt Barnes-Homer     
Courtney Pitt      [11/7] Simon Russell     
Daniel Brown      [4/6] Michael Wylde     
Lee Boylan      [10/8] Jake Moult     
Robbie Willmott      [26/14] Brian Smikle     
Mark Beesley      [30/15] Michael McGrath     
Sam Cutler      [31/17] Andy Ferrell     
Team Stats
  Fouls Conceded Offside Corners Shots On Shots off
Cambridge 17 0 10 6 14
Kidderminster 21 1 2 4 6
Cambridge Kidderminster
    27 Matt Barnes-Homer 
    67 Matt Barnes-Homer 
    85 Iyseden Christie Penalty
Morrison Coulson  Peters Hatswell
Wolleaston Carden  Reed Pitt
  Vieira  Jeffrey 
Bignot Hurren  Creighton Jeannin
Penn    Russell
  Christie  Barnes-Homer 
Cambridge Kidderminster
56 Willmott Morrison Willmott to right back. 55 Ferrell Russell Ferrell to left midfield.
62 Boylan Vieira Boylan to striker. 55 Smikle Knights Smikle to right midfield, Penn to left central midfield, Bennett to right central midfield.  Now 4-4-2.
75 Beesley Jeffrey Beesley to striker. 70 McGrath Barnes-Homer McGrath to left midfield, Ferrell to left back, Jeannin to left central defender, Creighton to central defender.  Now 5-4-1.
Cambridge Kidderminster
Referee: Andrew Halliday (London)
Match Report by St@tto

Harriers completed a good week's work with their third win in six days, and their fifth in seven games, with a convincing win over play-off chasing Cambridge for whom they are still a bogey side.

There were just two changes to the side that had trounced Crawley two days earlier; Dean Coleman coming in for a rare start in goal in place of the injured Chris MacKenzie and Paul Bignot replaced the rested Jeff Kenna.  As a result of the good form of the team the two new loan signings - Michael Wylde and Jake Moult - had to be content with places on the bench.

Despite the changes that were made to the side Harriers played with confidence and more than matched their hosts in the early stages of the game but it was midway through the half before they opened up the Cambridge defence.  Simon Russell's pass sent Alex Jeannin away on the left wing, his cross evaded the outstretched leg of Darryl Knights in the goal area and reached Iyseden Christie beyond the far post who blazed his shot over the bar.  The opening goal came shortly afterwards; Christie played a good ball over the United defence for Matt Barnes-Homer to run on to, he held off the challenges of two defenders before stabbing the ball past United's debutant keeper Alex McCarthy.

Late in the half Christie went close again, and for a second time fired over the bar, this time from 20-yards out.  At the other end Courtney Pitt forced a save from Coleman as did Stephen Reed as Cambridge came to life.

After the break Cambridge found another gear and attacked from the start.  Better finishing could have got them back into the game but throughout the half they managed to rack up 12 off-target shots and headers.  Harriers soaked up the pressure and after 66 minutes doubled their advantage.  A pass through the inside left channel opened up the home defence; Brian Smikle broke into the penalty area, drawing McCarthy out of his goal, and rolled the ball into the path of Barnes-Homer who was left with a simple finish that went through the legs of former Harrier Wayne Hatswell on the goalline.

Despite having to contend with a lot of Cambridge pressure Harriers looked dangerous every time that they attacked and a Dean Bennett through ball after 73 minutes put Christie in but he was denied by an excellent tackle from veteran defender Mark Peters.  Harriers wrapped up the result five minutes from time; Hatswell brought down Smikle in the penalty area and the referee had no hesitation in blowing for a penalty even though Smikle had regained his footing and fired the ball past McCarthy.  Christie stepped up to take the penalty and sent McCarthy the wrong way to record his 13th goal of the season.