Mansfield Town 4(3) v (0)2 Kidderminster Harriers

Football Conference National - Field Mill - 16 August 2008

Attendance: 2479

Individual Stats
v Kidderminster
Paddy Gamble 5 (2) 0 0 0 0 [1] Adam Bartlett 4 0(2) 0 0 0 0
Gary Silk 5 1 0 0 0 0[2] Paul Bignot 5 0 0 2 1 0
Alex Jeannin 5 0 0 1 0 0 [20/23] Michael Bowler 5 0 0 1 2(1p) 0
Adie Moses 5 0 0 2 1 0 [5/6] Luke Jones 5 0 0 1 1 0
Alan O'Hare 5 0 0 2 1 0 [6/5] Mark Creighton 5 0 0 2 1 0
Jonathan d'Laryea 5 0 0 1 0 0 [4] Andy Ferrell 5 0 3 1 1 0
Nathan Arnold 7 1(1) 0 0 2 2 [7/10] Russ Penn 7 1(w) 1 2 2 0
Matt Somner 5 0 0 0 2 0 [8/20] Dean Bennett 5 0 0 1 0 0
Jason Lee 5 0 1 2 0 2 [10/11] Justin Richards 6 2(1) 1 1 1 5
Mark Stallard 7 3(1) 1 1(p) 4 1 [9/8] Darryl Knights 6 0 1 0 0 0
Michael Blackwood 7 1 0 2 2 0 [11/7] Simon Russell 5 0 1 1 0 0
Tom Shaw      [14/9] Matt Barnes-Homer 6 1 0 1 3 0
Gavin Hurren      [18/16] Martin Brittain 7 1(1) 0 0 0 0
Aaron O'Connor 6 1 1 2 2 0 [21/17] David McDermott 5 0 0 0 0 0
Anthony Robinson 5 0 0 0 0 0 [31/18] Martin Riley     
Luke Herriott      [25/12] Dean Coleman     
Team Stats
  Fouls Conceded Offside Corners Shots On Shots off
Mansfield 13 5 2 7 3
Kidderminster 12 5 6 5 7
Mansfield Kidderminster
20 Mark Stallard Penalty 68 Matt Barnes-Homer 
32 Michael Blackwood  80 Justin Richards 
45+ Mark Stallard    
90+ Aaron O'Connor    
Silk Moses  O'Hare Jeannin
Talbot Somner  d'Laryea Blackwood
  Lee  Stallard 
Bignot Jones  Creighton Bowler
Penn Bennett  Ferrell Russell
  Richards  Knights 
Mansfield Kidderminster
85 O'Connor Stallard O'Connor to striker. 40 Barnes-Homer Bowler Barnes-Homer to striker, Knights to attacking midfield, Bennett to defensive midfield, Ferrell to left back.  Now 4-4-2 Diamond.
90+ Robinson Lee Robinson to striker. 60 Brittain Russell Brittain to right midfield, Penn to left midfield.
     67 McDermott Knights McDermott to left midfield, Penn to attacking midfield.
Mansfield Kidderminster
O'Hare 78 Foul  Ferrell 52 Foul 
Referee: Paul Curry (Northumberland)
Match Report by St@tto

A shocking first-half display from Harriers ensured that their poor start to the season continued, with them still searching for their first win after three games.

Harriers made just one change from the team that had lost at Cambridge in midweek, Dean Bennett coming into the starting line-up with Matthew Barnes-Homer dropping down to the bench, and reverted to a standard 4-4-2 formation.  Mansfield included four ex-Harriers in their squad - Alex Jeannin and Michael Blackwood in the starting eleven and Gavin Hurren and Anthony Robinson on the bench.

After a cagey start to the game Harriers began to self-combust when Michael Bowler's clumsy challenge on Mark Stallard saw referee Paul Curry have no hesitation in pointing to the penalty spot; Stallard himself took the penalty, chipping the ball over the dive of Adam Bartlett, to open the scoring.  Chances were exchanged with Darryl Knights' shot on the turn going close from 30 yards and then Stallard chipping over the bar from the edge of the penalty area after the visitors' defence had been split wide open by a pass through the middle.

Stallard was causing Harriers all sorts of problems and could have added to his tally shortly after the half-hour mark; Blackwood got the byline on the left and pulled the ball back to the near post only for the striker to head wide.  The second goal was not long in coming, however, unmarked veteran striker Jason Lee heading down for Blackwood, inevitably, to sweep home against his former club. things went from bad to worse for Harriers in stoppage time as Bartlett was caught out by Gary Silk's long range effort and instead of pushing the ball out for a corner, at worst, managed to palm it across the face of goal for Stallard to smash into the roof of the net from a yard out.

After the break Harriers had clearly had a rollicking as they came out fired up and playing with more purpose than they had done not only in the first half but in any game so far this season.  Russ Penn went agonisingly close to reducing the arrears just two minutes after the restart as Andy Ferrell's cross was only half cleared to him and his low shot cannoned back off the post.  Knights then set up Simon Russell but his attempt to curl the ball around Paddy Gamble in the home goal didn't come off and flew wide instead.

Midway through the half the comeback began; Justin Richards slipped the ball through the inside-right channel for Barnes-Homer who held off the challenge of Adie Moses before slotting it under Gamble.  Thirteen minutes from the end The Stags should have made the game safe when Bartlett spilled Nathan Taylor's shot to the feet of Lee who somehow managed to loft the ball over the bar from close range.

Ten minutes from the end lively Harriers substitute Martin Brittain drew a great save from Gamble, forcing him to tip his 25-yard free-kick away for a corner.  From the resultant flag-kick Brittain's cross fell to Richards who gleefully volleyed in his third goal in as many games to leave the home side rocking with just a one-goal advantage.

With time running out Harriers threw everything forward; Bennett's through ball set Richards through on goal but Gamble was quick to come out and save at his feet.  Next, Brittain delivered another good cross from the right for Richards whose attempted overhead kick went straight at Gamble.

In the last minute of regular time Harriers gave away possession to Arnold in the middle of his own half and allowed him to run through on goal unchallenged before, fortunately for Harriers, shooting wide of Bartlett's right-hand post.  With Harriers committing bodies forward they were light at the back and were opened up again deep in stoppage time by Arnold who ran at them on the right before picking out substitute Aaron O'Connor on the opposite flank who made no mistake in adding the fourth goal and ending Harriers' hopes of snatching an undeserved point.