Kidderminster Harriers 2(0) v (0)0 York City

Football Conference National - Aggborough - 23 September 2008

Attendance: 1481

Individual Stats
v York
Adam Bartlett      [1/24] Michael Ingham     
Keith Lowe      [21/2] Ben Purkiss     
Lee Baker     [3] Mark Robinson     
Luke Jones      [6] Daniel Parslow     
Mark Creighton     [5] David McGurk     
Andy Ferrell      [4/12] Ben Wilkinson     
Martin Brittain      [16/11] Simon Russell     
Russ Penn      [10/15] Simon Rusk     
Justin Richards      [11/9] Daniel McBreen     
Matt Barnes-Homer      [9/26] Peter Holmes     
Brian Smikle      [14/16] Richard Brodie     
Darryl Knights      [8/4] Darren Kelly     
David McDermott      [17/7] Onome Sodje     
Sam Foley      [19/10] Craig Farrell     
Michael Bowler      [23/17] Niall Henderson     
Dean Coleman      [12/13] Josh Mimms     
Team Stats
  Fouls Conceded Offside Corners Shots On Shots off
Kidderminster 11 9 3 6 5
York 14 8 4 0 10
Kidderminster York
63 Brian Smikle    
90+ Justin Richards    
Lowe Jones  Creighton Baker
Brittain Penn  Ferrell Smikle
  Richards  Barnes-Homer 
Purkiss Parslow  McGurk Robinson
Russell Rusk  Wilkinson Brodie
Kidderminster York
81 McDermott Brittain McDermott to right midfield. 63 Sodje Brodie Sodje to striker, Holmes to left midfield.  Now 4-4-2.
     76 Farrell Russell Farrell to right midfield.
Kidderminster York
   Rusk 43 Foul
Farrell 85 Foul
Referee: David Coote (Nottinghamshire)
Match Report by St@tto

Harriers find themselves in the dizzy heights of third in the Conference after recording their fifth consecutive home win, stretching their unbeaten home run to 13 games.

York are the division's draw specialists, with six so far this season from their opening ten games, and it is easy to see why as their well-organised, hardworking, style stifled and frustrated a Harriers side unchanged for the sixth game in a row.  The Minstermen included former Harrier Simon Russell in their side as their one flair player but he added little for them.

A dour, scrappy, game almost came to life after ten minutes when Harriers' leading scorer Justin Richards was put clear on the right by Keith Lowe's pass but his angled shot, looking destined for the far corner, went narrowly wide of the far post.  There was a further scare for the visitors after 20 minutes when Martin Brittain's left-wing corner was met by the head of skipper Mark Creighton; his header was saved by Michael Ingham and City managed to scramble the ball away off the line.  In the last minute of the half Matt Barnes-Homer lobbed the ball over the advancing Ingham into the path of Brian Smikle who headed wide.

The second half followed a similar pattern, Harriers forced to work hard for whatever they could get by a disciplined City side.  Eventually the deadlock was broken after 62 minutes; Brittain received the ball on the right wing, cut back onto his weaker left foot and crossed to the near post where Smikle arrived to score his second goal of the season with a diving header.  Late in the game Russ Penn should have doubled the advantage; jinking his way into the penalty area on the left his shot to the near post was held by Ingham.

Four minutes from the end city thought that they had equalised; debutant Peter Holmes hit a 20-yard shot that was going wide until it was turned in by Simon Rusk but the latter was offside and the goal was not allowed to stand.  In the last minute, with York throwing bodies forward, Harriers could have made the result safe; Barnes-Homer latched onto a ball on the left wing and cut into the penalty area before shooting wide of the far post when a better option would have been to pull the ball back to the unmarked David McDermott at the far post.

Any remaining nerves were finally settled three minutes into stoppage time; Barnes-Homer's pass through the inside-right channel set McDermott clear and his low cross into the danger area found an unmarked Richards who was left with an easy finish for his seventh goal of the season, the same total he managed for the whole of last season.