Kidderminster Harriers 1(1) v (0)0 Cambridge United

FA Cup Round 1 - Aggborough - 8 November 2008

Attendance: 1717

Individual Stats
v Cambridge
Adam Bartlett     [1]Danny Potter     
Keith Lowe     [21/2]Dan Gleeson     
Lee Baker     [3]Anthony Tonkin     
Martin Riley     [18/5]Phil Bolland     
Mark Creighton     [5/6]Wayne Hatswell     
Andy Ferrell     [4/15]Paul Carden     
Martin Brittain     [16/21]Chris Holroyd     
Russ Penn     [10]Jon Challinor     
Justin Richards     [11/9]Lee McEvilly     
Matt Barnes-Homer     [9/28]Danny Crow     
Brian Smikle     [14/18]Robbie Willmott     
Stefan Moore     [7]Mark Beesley     
Darryl Knights     [8/12]Josh Coulson     
David McDermott     [17/14]Mark Convery     
Dean Bennett     [20/16]Ben Farrell     
Michael Bowler     [23/20]Felino Jardim     
Nathan Hayward     [24]Jordan Collins     
Dean Coleman     [12/30]Steven Drench     
Team Stats
  Fouls Conceded Offside Corners Shots On Shots off
Kidderminster Cambridge
17Justin RichardsPenalty   
LoweRiley CreightonBaker
BrittainPenn FerrellSmikle
 Richards Barnes-Homer 
GleesonBolland HatswellTonkin
HolroydChallinor CardenWillmott
 McEvilly Crow 
Kidderminster Cambridge
31BennettPennBennett to right central midfield.54JardimWillmottJardim to left midfield.
90MooreBarnes-HomerMoore to striker.69BeesleyCrowBeesley to striker.
    83FarrellHolroydFarrell to right midfield.
Kidderminster Cambridge
Penn 10 Foul
Richards 41 Unsporting Behaviour
Referee: Paul Tierney (Lancashire)
Match Report by St@tto

Harriers progressed to the Second Round of the FA Cup after a thrilling cup-tie, edging out Conference rivals Cambridge United by the only goal of the game.

After resting most of his first-choice players for the midweek Setanta Shield game Mark Yates switched back to his full-strength side, unchanged from that which had beaten Grays in the previous league game.  With the option to choose from seven subs Michael Bowler and Nathan Hayward were added to the squad.

Harriers started brightly and could, should maybe, have taken the lead after a quarter of an hour when Andy Ferrell's cross from the left was headed wide of the near post by Matt Barnes-Homer.  The opening goal came just a minute later; Martin Brittain's pass along the right wing sent Justin Richards clear, he cut inside of Wayne Hatswell but was brought down by the former Harriers.  Richards picked himself up to send Danny Potter the wrong way from the penalty spot.

As Harriers continued to dominate Martin Riley went close, heading Brittain's left-wing corner onto the roof of the net.  Russ Penn was substituted after half an hour to prevent him from being sent off as he had already been booked and committed a number of other fouls; his displeasure at being replaced was clear for all to see as he headed off up the tunnel.  Five minutes before the interval Harriers could have doubled their advantage when Keith Lowe's free-kick out of defence found Richards whose low shot on the turn was saved by Potter.

A good passing movement ended with Richards shooting narrowly wide early in the second period but the visitors began to get into the game.  Felino Jardim came on as a substitute in place of Robbie Willmott and, as he had in the league meeting between the clubs in August, immediately began to cause Harriers problems; he picked up the ball on the left, cut inside and hit a shot that had Adam Bartlett in the Harriers goal beaten all ends up but crashed back off the far post.

Bartlett did better moments later when he United had a corner on the right, tipping Phil Bolland's header over the bar for another corner.  From the corner Harriers counter-attacked with Dean Bennett getting away on the left, his cross found Barnes-Homer but his shot was weak and Cambridge scrambled it away for a corner.

Midway through the half Ferrell went close with a 25-yard effort after Barnes-Homer's knock down.  Bartlett was doing his best to keep the visitors at bay at the other end; Jardim's cross from the right found Mark Beesley at the far post but Bartlett was equal to his well-struck volley and shortly afterwards saved with his legs from the same player after he had been sent clear on the left.  Late in the game Harriers could have wrapped up the game after Richards did well to keep the ball in play on the right, knocking it back to Brian Smikle whose cross found Barnes-Homer who headed wide at the far post.