Kidderminster Harriers 2(1) v (0)0 Curzon Ashton

FA Cup Round 2 - Aggborough - 29 November 2008

Attendance: 2070

Individual Stats
v Curzon
Adam Bartlett     [1]David Carnell     
Keith Lowe     [21/2]Matthew Russell     
Lee Baker     [3]Daniel Whelan     
Martin Riley     [18/5]Adam Jones     
Mark Creighton     [5/4]David Birch     
Andy Ferrell     [4/7]Chris Worsley     
Martin Brittain     [16/6]James Ogoo     
Russ Penn     [10/8]Chris Curley     
Matt Barnes-Homer     [9]Michael Norton     
Stefan Moore     [7/11]Alex Elliot     
Brian Smikle     [14]Phil Edghill     
Luke Jones     [6/10]Glynn Barker     
Darryl Knights     [8/12]Jamie Byrne     
David McDermott     [17/15]Michael O'Connor     
Dean Bennett     [20/16]Martyn Booty     
Michael Bowler     [23/17]Andrew Watson     
Nathan Hayward     [24/1]Dennis Barlow     
Dean Coleman     [12]-     
Team Stats
  Fouls Conceded Offside Corners Shots On Shots off
Kidderminster Curzon
39Stefan Moore    
65Mark Creighton    
LoweRiley CreightonBaker
BrittainPenn FerrellSmikle
 Barnes-Homer Moore 
RussellJones BirchWhelan
OgooCurley WorsleyEdghill
Kidderminster Curzon
69McDermottSmikleMcDermott to left midfield.32BarlowOgooBarlow to goalkeeper, Elliot to right midfield.  Now 4-4-1.
80KnightsBrittainKnights to right midfield.86BarkerEdghillBarker to striker, Elliot to right central midfield, Curley to central midfield.  Now 4-3-2.
87JonesPennJones to right central midfield.88ByrneCurleyByrne to left central midfield, Worsley to central midfield.
Kidderminster Curzon
  Worsley 72 DissentCarnell 30 Professional Foul
Referee: Simon Hooper (Wiltshire)
Match Report by St@tto

Harriers won through to the FA Cup Third Round for just the third time in their history with a professional performance against Unibond League side Curzon Ashton.

The visitors, the lowest ranked team still in the competition, had to play for an hour with ten men which changed their approach to the game a little but even before then they had appeared content to defend in depth and hope for the draw and the chance for a replay.  Harriers had an early chance to open the scoring and settle any nerves when Martin Brittain's fifth minute corner from the right found Martin Riley at the far post but his shot hit the upright.

On the quarter hour Russ Penn went close with a 20-yard drive that David Carnell managed to hold on to after Lee Baker's cross had only been half cleared.  The game began to degenerate as it became tense and scrappy but it sprang back to life on 30 minutes when Matt Barnes-Homer's flick on set Stefan Moore clear on goal; Carnell raced out and body-checked him, sending him sprawling and leaving referee Simon Hooper no option but to send him off.  The resultant free kick taken by Brittain went narrowly wide.  The deadlock was broken after 38 minutes; Keith Lowe's deep cross from the right was stabbed in from close range by Moore for his first goal for the club.

Substitute keeper Dennis Barlow did well to keep his team in the game early in the second half; Baker made a strong run through the inside-left channel before hitting a good shot that the keeper beat away only as far as Barnes-Homer and then managed to get himself in the way of the follow-up shot.

Shortly afterwards Lowe headed over the bar from another Brittain corner and then on 65 minutes Harriers got the corner routine right and doubled their advantage, skipper Mark Creighton connecting with Brittain's cross to head past Barlow.  Harriers continued to create chances and should have had the game wrapped up early on.  By the end of the game they had racked up 26 attempts at goal with Brittain instigating a number of them.  His corner with 20 minutes remaining was not cleared and fell to Penn who saw his shot blocked by Phil Edghill.

Late on Moore got into the penalty area on the left only for his shot to be parried and Brittain to fire wide from the rebound.  A strong run through the middle by Penn was blocked and the ball ran to Barnes-Homer who saw his shot blocked by Chris Curley.  In the last minute a Darryl Knights free-kick on the right hit the far post and then Luke Jones fired wide across the face of goal.