Kidderminster Harriers 2(1) v (0)0 Histon

Football Conference National - Aggborough - 27 January 2009

Attendance: 1277

Individual Stats
v Histon
Adam Bartlett     [1] Danny Naisbitt     
Keith Lowe      [21] Lanre Oyebanjo     
Craig Armstrong      [15/25] Gareth Gwillim     
Martin Riley      [18/5] Matt Langston     
Luke Jones      [6] Adam Bygrave     
Dean Bennett      [20/4] Matthew Mitchel-King     
David McDermott      [17/10] Antonio Murray     
Darryl Knights      [8/24] Josh Simpson     
Matt Barnes-Homer      [9/12] Jack Midson     
Justin Richards      [11/23] Danny Wright     
Andy Ferrell      [4/18] Nathaniel Knight-Percival     
Paul Bignot      [2/3] Craig Pope     
Lee Baker      [3/7] John Kennedy     
Stefan Moore      [7/8] Neil Andrews     
Brian Smikle      [14/11] Jamie Barker     
Martin Brittain      [16/13] Joe Welch     
Team Stats
  Fouls Conceded Offside Corners Shots On Shots off
Kidderminster 10 3 10 6 11
Histon 12 3 6 6 7
Kidderminster Histon
17 Matt Barnes-Homer    
90+ Matt Barnes-Homer     
Lowe Riley  Jones Armstrong
McDermott    Ferrell
  Richards  Barnes-Homer 
Oyebanjo Langston  Bygrave Gwillim
Murray Simpson  Mitchel-King Knight-Percival
  Midson  Wright 
Kidderminster Histon
84 Smikle Knights Smikle to left midfield, Ferrell to left central midfield, Bennett to right central midfield.    
90+ Bignot McDermott Bignot to right midfield.    
Kidderminster Histon
   Midson 90+ Foul 
Referee: Gary Sutton (Lincolnshire)
Match Report by St@tto

Harriers moved back up into the play-off positions following their first-ever win over high-flying Histon thanks to a goal in each half from Matthew Barnes-Homer.

There were a number of changes to the side that had lost at Barrow at the weekend; Russ Penn and Mark Creighton were lost to injury meaning starts for David McDermott and Luke Jones while there was even a place on the bench for forgotten man Paul Bignot.

The visitors started the game the better and had Harriers pushed back into their own half for most of the first ten minutes of the game.  They should have taken the lead after just five minutes; Mathew Mitchel-King picked out Antonio Murray with a crossfield pass, his shot was parried by Adam Bartlett only as far as Jack Midson who headed into the side netting with the goal at his mercy.

Harriers soaked up the early pressure and took the lead after 16 minutes; McDermott's cross-shot from the right was deflected into the path of Dean Bennett who showed good technique to keep his volley down but saw it come back off the far post into the path of Barnes-Homer who had an easy tap-in for his tenth goal of the season.  Darryl Knights and McDermott were both lively throughout and caused Histon a number of problems; five minutes before the break the former set the latter away on the right, his low cross flashed across the face of goal with no one able to apply the finishing touch.

After the break Histon had more of the game.  Around the hour mark they had a number of chances to draw level but Harriers rode their luck to maintain their lead; Gareth Gwillim's corner from the right found Mitchel-King whose header was tipped over the bar by Bartlett.  Murray broke clear of the Harriers defence and beat Bartlett with a low shot but Keith Lowe was able to get back to hook it off the line.  The worst opportunity from a Harriers point of view came on 64 minutes when they messed up a corner allowing Histon to break, Craig Armstrong intercepted but his pass was astray and let in Danny Wright who raced clear and blazed his shot over the bar.  There was another goalmouth scramble shortly afterwards that ended with Josh Simpson's shot being blocked.

Harriers were still in the game, however, and continued to create chances; a Knights corner from the left ten minutes from the end found Lowe at the far post but he headed wide.  Soon afterwards Andy Ferrell fired a 25-yard free-kick over the bar.  In stoppage time Harriers made the game safe; the ball was played forward on the left, Justin Richards turned it inside to Barnes-Homer who broke into the penalty area before slotting the ball low past Danny Naisbitt into the bottom corner.