Kidderminster Harriers 4(1) v (2)2 Stevenage Borough

Football Conference National - Aggborough - 4 April 2009

Attendance: 2115

Individual Stats
v Stevenage
Adam Bartlett     [1/16]Chris Day     
Keith Lowe     [21/25]Ronnie Henry     
Lee Baker     [3]Scott Laird     
Martin Riley     [18/5]Jon Ashton     
Mark Creighton     [5/14]Mark Roberts     
Dean Bennett     [20/8]Gary Mills     
Chris McPhee     [26/24]Michael Bostwick     
Darryl Knights     [8/10]Lee Boylan     
Justin Richards     [11/20]Steve Morrison     
Matt Barnes-Homer     [9/21]Mitchell Cole     
Russ Penn     [10/7]Darren Murphy     
Luke Jones     [6]Mark Albrighton     
Stefan Moore     [7/11]Junior Mendes     
Brian Smikle     [14/19]Callum Willock     
Martin Brittain     [16/30]Peter Vincenti     
Michael Carr     [25/1]Ashley Bayes     
Team Stats
  Fouls Conceded Offside Corners Shots On Shots off
Kidderminster Stevenage
44Matt Barnes-Homer 7Lee Boylan 
49Russ Penn 22Mitchell Cole 
58Justin Richards    
61Martin Brittain    
LoweRiley CreightonBaker
McPhee   Penn
 Richards Barnes-Homer 
HenryAshton RobertsLaird
Kidderminster Stevenage
36BrittainKnightsBrittain to right midfield, McPhee to right central midfield, Bennett to left central midfield.  Now 4-4-2.25 MurphyBostwick to left central midfield.  Now 4-3-2.
81MooreBarnes-HomerMoore to striker.41AlbrightonHenryAlbrighton to right back.
87CarrBennettCarr to left central midfield.64VincentiLairdVincenti to right midfield, Bostwick to left central midfield, Mills to right central midfield, Boylan to left midfield, Albrighton to central defender.  Now 3-4-2.
    88WillockBoylanWillock to striker, Cole to left midfield.
Kidderminster Stevenage
  Laird 45+ FoulMurphy 25 Serious Foul Play
Referee: Rob Lewis (Shropshire)
Match Report by St@tto

Harriers strengthened their chances of making the play-offs with an exhilarating victory over Stevenage at Aggborough, ending the visitors' unbeaten run at 24 matches and stretched their own to nine games.

There was one change to the Harriers side that thrashed Woking in midweek, Martin Riley coming back in at the expense of Luke Jones, but they were unable to continue playing in the same vein as at Kingfield as Stevenage offered a far stiffer challenge.

Borough took the lead  after just six minutes, and it was a very disappointing goal from a Harriers point of view.  Steve Morrison broke unchallenged into the penalty area on the left and lofted a cross to the far post where Lee Boylan was unmarked and had a completely free header.  Things got even worse for Harriers midway through the half when Adam Bartlett's attempted clearance went straight to Morrison who knocked it back into the penalty area for Mitchell Cole, his first shot was blocked but the rebound fell straight at his feet and he was able to slot it in from a narrow angle.

The game began to turn on 25 minutes when Stevenage's Darren Murphy was sent off for a clumsy challenge on Russ Penn.  From the resultant free-kick Darryl Knights' cross was headed straight at Chris Day in the Borough goal by Riley.  Knights then went close himself from another free-kick, but Day tipped his 30-yard shot over the bar.  Just before the break Harriers gave themselves a lifeline; Martin Brittain, on as a sub for Knights to exploit the space left by Henry, sent a corner over from the left that was met by Matt Barnes-Homer, his header was saved but he was quick to head in the rebound.

Harriers came out stronger after the break and drew level after just three minutes.  Barnes-Homer won the ball on the right and slipped it out to Brittain who sent over a wicked cross to the far post where an unmarked Penn scored with a diving header.  At the other end the dangerous Morrison saw his shot parried by Bartlett, Riley was first to the loose ball to clear the danger.

Just before the hour mark Harriers took the lead; Mark Creighton sent a free-kick forwards from inside the Harriers half, Justin Richards got in behind the defender and fired in a shot off the far post to record his 20th goal of the season.  Just three minutes later Harriers found the net again; Chris McPhee got free on the left wing and crossed to the far post where Brittain met the ball on the run and despatched an unstoppable volley past Day.

Soon afterwards McPhee won the ball on the left again but this time his cross was touched across the face of goal by Richards and wide of the far post.  Stevenage wouldn't give up, however, and Morrison had another shot parried by Bartlett; this time the rebound fell to Michael Bostwick whose shot was headed over the bar by Keith Lowe.  Late on Harriers could have increased their lead further when Lowe's pass over the inside-right channel found Dean Bennett who pulled it back well to Richards who hit his shot straight at Day.