Kidderminster Harriers 3(2) v (1)2 Gateshead

Football Conference - Aggborough - 19 September 2009

Attendance: 1286

Individual Stats
v Gateshead
Dean Coleman 50(1)0000[1]Jim Provett 40(1)0000
Duane Courtney 500100[2]Craig Baxter 500100
Lee Baker 50122(1h)0[3/19]Phil Cave 500100
Martin Riley 500210[6/15]Chris Swailes 400020
Gavin Caines 500000[5/3]Mark Robinson 500010
Dean Bennett 500020[8/14]Alex Francis 612110
David McDermott 601010[11/4]Kris Gate 610100
Darryl Knights 601130[10/21]Michael MacKay 501200
Matt Barnes-Homer 813013[9/23]Armand One 501031
Chris McPhee 62(1w)2400[7/9]Graeme Armstrong 51(1)0313
Brian Smikle 72(1)0200[14/8]Phil Turnbull 501110
Liam Dolman     [15/11]Wayne Phillips 500010
Kyle Hadley 500000[16/12]Jamie Harwood 500031
Tom Sharpe     [17]Neale McDermott 501011
Aaron Farrell 500000[18]Darren Forsyth     
Nathan Hayward 600110[19/13]Paul Farman     
Team Stats
  Fouls Conceded Offside Corners Shots On Shots off
Kidderminster Gateshead
25Chris Swailes (Own Goal)12Alex Francis
40Brian Smikle63Kris Gate
81Matt Barnes-Homer  
CourtneyRiley CainesBaker
McDermott   Smikle
 Barnes-Homer McPhee 
BaxterSwailes RobinsonCave
Kidderminster Gateshead
20HaywardBennettHayward to defensive midfield.46McDermottBaxterMcDermott to right back.
76HadleyMcDermottHadley to right midfield.46PhillipsOnePhillips to left midfield, Turnbull to right midfield, Gate to left central midfield, Francis to right central midfield.  Now 4-4-2.
81  McPhee to right central midfield, Hayward to left central midfield.  Now 4-4-1-1.68HarwoodFrancisHarwood to right midfield, Turnbull to left central midfield, Gate to right central midfield.
90+FarrellKnightsFarrell to striker.  Now 4-4-2.    
Kidderminster Gateshead
Baker 30 Dissent Swailes 53 Foul
Harwood 86 Foul
Referee: David Bond (Lancashire)
Match Report by St@tto

Harriers stretched their unbeaten run to three games for the first time this season, coming from behind to grab a narrow victory, their first over Gateshead since 1996.

Fielding the same line-up for the third game a row there was still no Robbie Matthews or John Finnigan who were both still injured.  Harriers were slow to get going and the early stages of the game were quite dour.

The visitors took the lead on 12 minutes when Alex Francis' free-kick 25 yards out on the left found its way through, taking a slight deflection on the way, to beat Dean Coleman and go in at the far post.  Harriers drew level twelve minutes later Matt Barnes-Homer got some space out on the right wing and crossed to the near post were Gateshead defender Chris Swailes met the ball with a thumping header that flew into his own net giving Jim Provett no chance to save.

By this time Harriers had lost Dean Bennett to injury, his place taken by youth teamer Nathan Hayward for his Conference debut.  Hayward slotted in well in the centre of midfield giving a performance that belied his lack of experience.

Ten minutes before the break Harriers could have take the lead; a corner from the right was not cleared and after some head tennis in the penalty area skipper Chris McPhee's header dropped just wide of the far post.  Harriers did take the lead on 39 minutes; Barnes-Homer's pass through the inside-left channel put in Brian Smikle who rifled in his fourth goal of the season with a first-time shot over Provett.  In the last minute of the half Hayward and Darryl Knights combined to set up McPhee on the right but his shot hit the far post and was scrambled clear.

Early in the second half Knights won the ball on the right and set up Barnes-Homer who shot wide of the far post.  Just past the hour mark Gateshead leveled the scores; a cross from the left found its way to Kris Gate who smashed a volley from the edge of the penalty area past Coleman.

Ten minutes from the end Harriers regained the lead; a long clearance by Coleman was flicked on towards the visiting defenders who had plenty of opportunities to clear before Barnes-Homer got to the ball, but even then they could have got it away, and he managed to nudge it past Provett and into the bottom corner to record his fourth goal of the season.  In the closing stages Harriers could have increased their lead further; Lee Baker's cross from deep on the left was knocked down by Barnes-Homer to Knights whose shot from just outside the penalty area fizzed narrowly wide.