Kidderminster Harriers 2(2) v (1)2 AFC Telford United

Football Conference National - Aggborough - 11 October 2011

Attendance: 2440

Individual Stats
v Telford
Dean Lyness      [21/1] Ryan Young     
Lee Vaughan     [2] Will Salmon     
Mickey Demetriou      [22/3] Sean Newton     
Michael Briscoe      [16] Dan Preston     
Tom Sharpe      [15/6] Sean Killock     
Kyle Storer      [24/4] Carl Rogers     
Nick Wright      [14/11] Jon Adams     
James Vincent     [8] Phil Trainer     
Jamille Matt      [20/25] Chris Sharp     
Callum Gittings      [18/19] Craig Farrell     
Marc Williams      [10/22] Courtney Pitt     
Scott Phelan      [5] Stuart Whitehead     
Tom Marshall      [6/23] Ryan Valentine     
Steve Guinan      [9/24] Greg Mills     
Robert Thompson-Brown      [13/31] Adam Proudlock     
Jack Cresswell      [19/32] Ryan Robinson     
Team Stats
  Fouls Conceded Offside Corners Shots On Shots off
Kidderminster 10 1 3 2 11
Telford 13 1 8 7 6
Kidderminster Telford
13 Jamille Matt 8 Jon Adams
39 Dan Preston (own goal) 75 Chris Sharp
Vaughan Briscoe  Sharpe Demetriou
  Vincent  Storer 
Wright  Gittings  Ma. Williams
Salmon Preston  Killock Newton
Adams Trainer  Rogers Pitt
  Sharp  Farrell 
Kidderminster Telford
4  Vaughan Gittings to right back.  Now 4-2-2-1. 46 Mills Rogers Mills to left midfield, Pitt to right central midfield, Trainer to left central midfield.
79 Thompson-Brown Ma. Williams Thompson-Brown to left wing. 73 Proudlock Trainer Proudlock to right midfield, Adams to right central midfield, Pitt to left central midfield.
90 Guinan Matt Guinan to striker.     
Kidderminster Telford
Briscoe 24 Foul Vaughan 4 Serious Foul Play Rogers 38 Foul 
Referee: Jeremy Simpson (Lancashire)
Match Report by St@tto

Harriers had to settle for just one point after they were held to a draw by Telford after playing nearly the whole match with ten men.

With the injury list getting longer after the weekend game against Luton Mickey Demetriou and Michael Briscoe came in for their first starts of the season and Robert Thompson-Brown and Jack Cresswell were on the bench for their first involvement of the campaign.

Harriers were handed a golden opportunity to take the lead after just two minutes when Jamille Matt was brought down in the penalty area by United 'keeper Ryan Young.  Lee Vaughan, facing his former club, took the penalty and even though Young dived the wrong way his kick was wayward, sailing high over the crossbar.

Vaughan's night got worse in the fourth minute when his reckless two-footed lunge at Courtney Pitt saw him shown the red card by referee Jeremy Simpson.  Callum Gittings showed his versatility further by having to drop back to slot into the vacated right back position.  The crazy opening to the game continued as one-time Harriers trialist gave the visitors an eighth minute lead pouncing on the loose ball to fire in from a narrow angle after Chris Sharp's header had been parried by Dean Lyness.

Despite the numerical disadvantage Harriers didn't let the situation get to them and they played themselves back into the game and drew level on 13 minutes.  A poorly executed corner from the right was cleared back to Gittings, his cross towards the far post was headed clear as far as Matt who advanced into the penalty area and unleashed a dipping shot over the motionless Young and into the far corner.

Harriers dominated the remainder of the half and wasted a number of good chances to take the lead, with Marc Williams the main culprit, but eventually took the lead six minutes before the break when Dan Preston headed Gittings' free-kick into his own net under no pressure.  In stoppage time Harriers could have increased their lead further when Nick Wright won the ball deep in his own half and carried it forward before setting up Williams again but he curled his shot just wide.

The second half wasn't quite so dramatic but did involve a change of referee on the hour when starter Simpson succumbed to injury.  Telford came into the game more in the second half as Harriers sat back more than they should have done; another former Harriers trialist Greg Mills saw his 25-yard free-kick beaten away by Lyness.

Shortly afterwards Matt hit a shot from distance narrowly wide of Young's right-hand upright, although a pass to an unmarked Wright may have been the better option.  At the other end a good passing move saw United scythe their way through the Harriers defence, Sean Newton breaking into the penalty area but his shot was well saved by Lyness.

United's pressure finally told with fifteen minutes remaining; poor marking saw Newton's corner from the right flicked on at the near post by Craig Farrell to Sharp at the far post who headed home unchallenged.  Both teams pressed for a winner but couldn't find a way through, in fact, Harriers didn't force young into action once in the second half but nonetheless will be pleased with their efforts having played for 85 minutes a man short.